The programs are selected by the Scientific Committee.
The scientific activities of each workshop are coordinated by three or more organizers. With the help of partecipants, they decide about seminars, lessons, topical discussions etc. The simultaneous presence of at least two organizers is requested. Within each workshop a conference is usually organized, that may help setting up the focus of the program and/or drawing conclusions and outlook. One or more focus weeks on subtopics can also be planned. Training weeks for PhD students and post-docs can be envisaged by the organizers. Workshop participants are encouraged to come for two-three weeks, shorter one-week stays being considered as exceptional.
Participants can ask for a financial support. It covers the accommodation in studio apartments that is usually paid directly. Several other accommodations can be provided with extra cost to those coming with their family. Travel expenses can be paid only in particular cases and special funds are available for young researchers.
The spread of COVID-19 has changed our everyday lives and the GGI activity program has been modified. In particular, the 2020 workshops have been rescheduled in 2021 with shorter 6-week programs in order to include one more workshop, expected for 2021. As a consequence, the two additional workshops scheduled for 2021 have been shifted to 2022:
- 18 Apr - 3 Jun, 2022 "Randomness, Integrability and Universality"
- 6 Jun - 15 Jul, 2022 "Reconstructing the Gravitational Hologram with Quantum Information"
Proposals for the 2022 workshops should be submitted by April 30, 2021, by filling the application form. It is strongly encouraged to send an informal pre-proposal by e-mail to the
by January 31, 2021. All proposals will be reviewed and selected by the Scientific Committee within May 2021.
A GGI workshop proposal should contain:
- scientific motivation with general framework and specific topics. This should explain relevance, current interest and recent development of the proposed field and the expected benefit of the workshop
- name of at least 3 workshop organizers
- list of expected key participants who have agreed to participate
- some detail on the conference, focus and/or training weeks (if any)
- preferred period for the workshop (early or late fall 2022)